Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri
If you need to get a urine sample from your dog
1) Find a shallow container or dish that you will not mind
throwing away after using, such as a clean butter dish. Attach the
container to the end of a yard stick or broom handle with strong
tape such as packing tape or duct tape.
If you need to get a urine sample from your cat
a) Use an empty, clean litter box (no litter or litter dust)
b) or use an empty, clean litter box with only a litter box liner (no litter)
c) or use a clean litter box and sprinkle a thin layer of packing peanuts in the bottom
of the box (Styrofoam peanuts only, starch peanuts will dissolve in urine);
d) or use a clean litter box containing only clean aquarium stones (this gives your
cat something to scratch at but won’t absorb the urine);
e) or use a regular litter box with litter in the box, then place the litter box inside a
large trash bag and tuck the edges down into the litter underneath so that your cat can
feel the litter through the bag but the urine won’t come in contact with the litter.
2) Secure your dog to a leash and walk your dog at your side so he or she can’t get
away from you when he or she is ready to urinate. When your dog starts to lift his leg or
squat, slide the container under your dog to collect a partial stream. You only need to get
about an eye-dropper-full, so if you can’t get much, don’t worry about it.
3) After walking your dog, you can transfer the urine to a clean, spill-proof container
for safe traveling, but please do not use a pill vial. The urine needs to be less than 24
hours old, and if you collect the sample in the evening, you may put the sample in the
refrigerator until you are able to bring it in to us.
If you need to get a urine sample from your cat, there are different methods that have been
1) It is always best to confine your cat to a small room; a bathroom is preferable
because it is easiest to clean. Pick up all rugs and towels from the floors and counters.
You may place water and food bowls in the room.
2) You will need to put a litter box in the room but you need to modify the box in one of
the following ways:
3) All of these methods (a-e) will allow you to pour the urine off into a clean container
that is more convenient for transport to us. Warning: Your cat may find the new litter box
offensive and refuse to use it, in which case he or she may urinate on the floor, counter
top, or bathtub instead, which is why it is important to pick up towels and rugs that may
absorb urine. If this happens, draw up some of the urine puddle with an eyedropper, or
ask us for a syringe and place the whole thing in a zip-lock bag for transport.
4) Remember to refrigerate the sample overnight if you get the sample in the evening.
The sample should be less than 24 hours old, so don’t start this project on a Saturday
morning because we can’t check a sample for you on a Sunday!!!
5) Once your cat has given you a sample you can let him or her out of solitary